Cape Cod Soups® offers its favorite recipes for soups and chowders online for free!! Take advantage and print out our recipes to try at home.
Cape Cod Cabbage Soup
When served with kielbasa or sausage, this unusual cabbage soup makes a warm and satisfying main course. Sometimes we add a little brown sugar to tone down the tartness of the sauerkraut...
- 4 oz bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 1 lb sauerkraut
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 4 ounces sour cream
- Fresh chives to taste
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon well. Drain and crumble
- Chop the onions finely
- Peel and dice the potatoes
- Drain the sauerkraut well
- Chop the chives
In a large pot, melt the butter and sauté the onions until soft. Add the potatoes and sauerkraut. Cook for three minutes or so.
Add the beef broth and bay leaf. Add the bacon, the sea salt, pepper, and paprika. Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
Garnish with sour cream and chives to taste.
- If you like a spicy soup, try replacing the paprika with a few red pepper flakes
Enjoy from Cape Cod Soups!