Cape Cod Soups® offers its favorite recipes for soups and chowders online for free!! Take advantage and print out our recipes to try at home.
Broccoli Barley Soup
Fresh broccoli and rosemary give this porridge-like soup a unique flavor...
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onions
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 lb white button mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 2 cups milk
- Fresh rosemary to taste
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Chop the onions and rosemary
- Mince or press the garlic
- Clean and chop the mushrooms
Clean the broccoli and cut off the crowns
- Chop the crowns into bite sized pieces
- Peel and thinly slice the stems
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the onions, garlic, and mushrooms for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the rosemary, stock, and barley. Bring to a boil, then, reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
When the barley is tender, add the broccoli. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the broccoli is soft.
Add the milk and simmer again until the milk is heated through. Do not let the soup boil. Season with the sea salt and pepper.
- If you like Parmesan cheese, try sprinkling a little on top
Enjoy from Cape Cod Soups!